Monday, April 7, 2008

Reflection: Erickson's Psychosocial Stages of Development

Stage: Trust vs. Mistrust
During this stage I find that my parents provided me with a nurturing and caring environment as I was the first child they may have been very careful with me especially because my mum was very young when I was born. I find that their treatment has allowed me to develop basic trust, perhaps too much trust in everyone. One characteristic that has truly developed from this is the sense of hope that I have, no matter how hard a task may be I always have the hope that everything will be alright in the end.

Stage: Autonomy vs. Shame
As a child I think I was protected a lot and therefore was unable to try and become independent, although my parents guided me I find that I was unable to build a sense of self-esteem and self-control as I was always under the control of my parents. Thus I was able to develop a sense of shame which was in slight excess, which still affects me by making me less able to be independent although I try hard to become so.


Stage: Initiative vs. Guilt
From what I have found out from my parents, they tell me that I was closer to my father and that I liked him better, this may have been due to my dad’s understanding and supportiveness of my effort to show initiative. However, I find that I was able to develop guilt as my dad would show other alternatives. Therefore I find that I have a healthy balance of the two.

Stage: Industry vs. Inferiority
As a child I was always encouraged to study and my teacher’s always supported and guided me at school. However, I think that I experienced too much competency as I became more mature than my peers.


Stage: Identity vs. Role Confusion
At this stage I have developed my identity and have gone through the identity crisis from which I have successfully resolved. This has allowed me to become friends with people of various backgrounds, values and experiences.

No comments: