Monday, April 7, 2008

Reflection: Defense Mechanism

Repression: I don’t know what I may have repressed as a child into my unconscious as it must be still repressed there.
Identification: Until the age of 7, I was the only child in my family. This meant that I would always get all the attention whether it was good or bad. Both my parents had power and control over me, whereas I had no power over anyone. I think that this may have caused me to always identify myself with TV shows like Power Rangers. The pink ranger had cool powers and could beat up the bad guys. I wanted to have power and thus identified with the pink ranger.
Displacement: As the elder child in my family, I usually get more responsibility and I am meant to always do the ‘right’ thing. Naturally, I am imperfect and my parents do sometimes scold me for doing something wrong or setting a bad example for my sister. In this case the right thing to do would be to just take it in and then let go, however, I tend to always storm off into my room and when my sister comes in I always shout at her for nothing. I find that this is a result of displacement of my anger towards my parents.
Projection: Once when I had a bike accident with another car, I projected my fault onto the driver of the car and made myself believe that it was actually his fault and not mine.

Although I have examples of using defense mechanisms, I don’t think that I use them much in excess as I usually have my Id in control and at times my Superego doesn’t play a large role in decision making for me.

No comments: