Sunday, April 6, 2008

Reflection: Freud's Personality Structure

The Id, Ego and Superego in Me During the period of time in which each of the three personality components set in, I was the only child of the family. As a result of this I was the center of attention of both my parents. Naturally, they were able to meet all my Id influenced needs, although sometimes their superego would set in and not let them spoil me completely. Once I was able to talk and grew up, my parents encouraged me suppress my Id and let my ego and superego take over. Unlike the other children, I would come back home after perhaps 1 or 2 hours of play, whereas they would for much longer. However, my parents always encouraged me to do the “right thing at this age” which was to stay at home and study. Occasionally when my parents were away shopping, I would get time to release my Id and watch TV the whole day or talk to my friends on the phone. Another major occasion was when my mum decided to go on holiday with my younger sister to India and me and dad stayed home in Holland. During the holidays I was left alone at home while my dad had to go to work, and I can now see that during this period of time my Id was completely in control of me. The second I would see my dad drive out, I’d go onto my balcony and put my stereo on full volume so that my friends living upstairs and on the next street would also come out onto their balconies and dance around like crazy. Another time my Id had over-ruled both my superego and ego was with money, my dad would give me as much money as I wanted because he wanted to keep me happy. So for 3 days straight I would take 20 euros from my dad, go the mall, to Jamin which was THE story for candy and spend everything I had. However, after the third day of candy binging my superego set in and said “NO, you’re going to make your dad broke if you carry on at this rate, whether its with spending so much money on candy or because of the resulting dental problems that are bound to come”. As of then I usually try to keep my Id under control, however even now I find it a problem when I have money in my hands.

No comments: